The fees below are based on how many other beds you share the room with. A four bed bedroom is the standard, and the cheapest option going all the way to a single bedroom. All bedrooms have their own bathroom with shower options, and all beds are single beds.
Volunteers of AFS organizations outside EFIL will have to pay an additional fee of €50(applies to all categories)
Step 1: Apply
By logging in to MySummit here on the webpage, you can apply for the VSS in a few minutes! Once you have filled in all the required information, you will receive an email from EFIL confirming your application.
Step 2: Admission to the VSS and finalizing registration
Your national AFS organisation has to confirm that you are a volunteer and that they approve your application. Once we have a reply by your national office, we will send you an email telling you whether you have been approved or not for participation.
Important: Approval to participate in the VSS doesn’t mean your office will sponsor your participation, so please make sure to check with your AFS organisation if you are not sure. – In case you cannot participate to the VSS because you did not get a scholarship, you have to cancel via email to email@example.com. Only cancellations to this email are valid!
Step 3: Start your registration
As soon as you get the admission email, you can start the registration in your My Summit account. Here you will have to choose your room type, inform us about dietary restrictions etc. Do it soon as there is limited number of beds in each category.
Step 4: Make the payment
Once you filled out the registration you can pay the registration fee. You cannot continue to the workshop selection until we have received your payment. The payment can either by done via bank transfer or PayPal.
Step 5: Book your means of travel to the VSS
Please make sure to keep ALL receipts and tickets for your travels to and from the venue as you will need to hand them in once you arrive at the VSS.
Step 6: Finish the registration
After the confirmation of your payment, you can sign up for workshops and inform us about your travel plans. You will only be able to sign up for workshops once you have transferred the registration fee.
If all the necessary information is entered you finally made it, you will get an email with the final confirmation including your workshops and room type.
- If you cancel after the 12nd of May 2019, we will require a 50 Euro fee.
- If you cancel after the 26st of May 2019, you will be charged 50% of the registration fee.
- If you cancel after 16th of June 2019, there will be no reimbursement.
Q: How do I recover my password to MySummit?
A: Send an email to Nicolas (firstname.lastname@example.org), he will help you.
Q: How do I change my accommodation type?
A: Send an email to Nicolas (email@example.com). He will see if there is free room in your preferred accommodation and make the changes for you.
Q: How can I cancel my participation?
A: Cancellations are only accepted through email to Nicolas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Q: I can’t upload my travel documents to MySummit. What should I do?
A: Don’t worry. You can send the documents to Nicolas (email@example.com), with the subject VSS19 TRAVEL DOCUMENTS_your name. PDF documents are preferable to forwarded email.
Q: Will I be supported by my AFS organisation?
A: – There will be two rounds of confirmations by offices. After each deadline those who have applied will be notified by Nicolas if they have been confirmed to participate or not.
– Regarding financial support of AFS organisations, this is up to each individual organisation and is not in the hands of EFIL. Please refer to your national organisation with questions regarding financial support.
Q: How long does it take to get to Austria?
A: – This depends on your location. We recommend using www.google.maps.com to find your route.
– We recommend, if possible, that participants look into alternative means of travel to flying. This can be trains, busses, ferries, private cars, bikes, etc. These are all more sustainable ways to getting to the VSS and this makes our green hearts happy.
– Websites like https://www.omio.com/, www.skyscanner.net or google flights help you book your travels in case you are flying.
Q: Can you arrange pick-up at the airport?
A: – All participants will have to travel individually to the meeting point: Graz (more information about the meeting spot will follow). Make sure to plan your travel to be at the meeting point before 16:30 on July 14th.
– Please make sure you enter your travel information in Mysummit, so we can plan arrivals and registrations accurately. Should you change your plan after you completed the registration make sure to update your details or let us know via email.
Q: Who do I contact at EFIL if my flight is delayed and what do I do in that case?
A: – If your flight is delayed by a short time there is no need to notify anyone.
– In case your delay is long enough to affect your transfer to the venue on arrival day please contact Nicolas via email or the EFIL phone.
Q: When can I leave on the 19th of July?
A: – There will be buses leaving the venue in the morning of Friday July 19th taking participants to Graz. More information about exact times will come later, once we have collected everyone’s travel details. In order to organized departure properly we need accurate information so make sure to fill in this part of the registration carefully.
– We advise you to book flights that leave after 14:30 on the 19th of July. If there is an urgent reason for you to leave with an earlier flight please contact Nicolas (firstname.lastname@example.org) before you book.
– Information about transport to and from the venue will be in the info booklet which we encourage you to have on your phone or printed with you during your travels to the venue.
Q: Is it possible to book your own accommodation outside the venue?
A: A part of the VSS is staying together at the venue and in the offered accommodations. It is not an option to stay outside of the venue.
Q: Can you recommend any budget hotels for before and after the VSS?
A: – We recommend checking www.booking.com, www.hostelworld.com or other similar webpages to find budget hotels to stay at before and after the event.
– Such bookings have to be made individually and EFIL is not a part of this process.
Q: How will the weather be at the VSS?
A: – Unfortunately the EFIL secretariat does not have an especially tight bond with the weather gods.
– What we can tell you is that the event is hosted in the middle of July and the average temperature at the venue in this time of year is somewhere between 15°C and 26°C. There is a chance of rain and it might get quite cold in the evenings. If we are lucky it might also be sunny and nice.
– We recommend preparing for different weathers. Dress like an onion, then you can rather take off layers if it gets too warm than being cold.
– We also recommend keeping an eye on the weather. You can find the weather forecast here: https://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/en/weather/weather-forecast/steiermark/
Q: What is the attire for the event? Formal? Casual?
A: The attire is completely up to you. There is no dress code at the VSS but to give an indication, people tend to dress rather casually at this event. On the other hand, we do recommend taking the weather into consideration when packing for the VSS.
Q: Can I bring my spouse or other family members to the event?
A: – If they are AFS volunteers and have registered, gotten confirmed and payed the registration fee: Yes!
– If not: The VSS is an event held exclusively for AFS volunteers that are registered participants. It is therefore not possible to bring external people to the venue.
The Volunteer Summer Summit is the yearly flagship event of the European Federation for Intercultural Learning. It brings 200+ volunteers together from all over Europe to engage them in intercultural learning activities to strengthen their volunteering engagement and facilitation skills.
EFIL is an umbrella organisation of the exchange organisation American Field Service and counts 29 member associations in Europe. EFIL promotes intercultural understanding among countries, organisations and citizens, and actively helps its members to operate within the European environment.
The address of EFIL is Roger Vandendriesschelaan 18, B, 1150 Brussels, Belgium. The preparatory team is spread across the continent.